The year 2017 was a year with ups and downs for India. In this year, new acts were implemented for the betterment for the country, as well as it also came to some serious conclusions whether it was the case ‘Nirbhaya’ or ‘Triple Talaq’ verdict. India was a happy and proud nation when Manushi Chhillar won the Miss World pageant but was saddened by losing some great actors. We have got you top 12 news of the year 2017.
- RERA Act: RERA Act is an act of the Parliament of India which benefits home buyers as well as help investments in the real estate industry. All builders and developers need to register their new and ongoing projects with the regulatory authority. This act will help to establish state-level Real Estate Regulatory Authorities (RERAs) to regulate transactions related to both residential and commercial projects and will ensure their timely completion.
- Nirbhaya’s Case has finally come to a conclusion: After a long wait of 5 years, finally, the daughter of India Jyoti Singh (Nirbhaya) has got justice. On the night of December 16, 2012, Jyoti Singh, also known as Nirbhaya, a 23-year-old medical student, was brutally gang-raped on a moving bus in Delhi by six men. This horrific incident triggered nationwide protests which formed new laws on crimes against women. Nirbhaya was cruelly assaulted with an iron rod in her genitals and her intestines were pulled out. Out of the six rapists, one was juvenile and was sentenced for three years in a probation home, one of the prime accused Ram Singh was found hanging in his cell, and the remaining four were sentenced to death.
- Mother Teresa’s Saree is now trademarked: Mother Teresa’s Saree has been trademarked by the Government of India. Mother Teresa’s saree is a symbol of love, peace, and harmony. Many shops, schools, and organizations started using her name which does not have any connections to Missionaries of Charity. This was complained by the nuns as they were misusing the name for their commercial gains. Indian Government has agreed to make her saree as a trademark to solve the issue.
- GST Bill was passed: The Goods and Service Tax (GST) bill was passed by the Rajya Sabha on August 2016, which was implemented from July 1, 2017. GST includes all small taxes in one tax. The GST is being issued to create a common market across the states and to improve tax compliance.
- Right to Privacy: The Supreme Court has said that privacy is a legal right because it is intrinsic to the right of life. The apex court’s nine-judge bench ruled ‘Right to Privacy’ is an integral part of Right to Life and Personal Liberty guaranteed in Article 21 of the Constitution.
- Triple Talaq Verdict: On 22 August 2017, the Supreme Court of India has passed a law in support of Muslim community declaring the ‘Triple Talaq’ as unconstitutional. The practice of triple talaq to give instant divorce by saying Talaq thrice has been banned. The Triple Talaq has ruined the lives of numerous women. The triple talaq violates the essential rights of Muslim women. With the passing of this new law, many Muslim women are in hope of getting justice.
- Manushi Chhillar won Miss World 2017 Pageant: Manushi Chhillar has made India proud by bringing back the Miss World pageant after 17 long years. Manushi is an Indian medical student and dreams of becoming a cardiac surgeon. She constantly works for the empowerment and safety of women. Manushi even initiated a project named ‘Project Shakti’ to spread the awareness about the hygiene during menstruation.
- PM Modi travels to Ambaji in a seaplane: PM Modi took a single engine seaplane from Sabarmati river in Ahmedabad to visit Ambaji Temple in Mehsana on his last day of Gujarat Election campaign. He covered a distance of 180 km. He tweeted that it is not possible to build airports everywhere so he will focus on waterways.
- Rahul Gandhi is the new Chief of Congress Party: Rahul Gandhi has taken an oath as the President of the Indian National Congress. A large number of Congress leaders and party workers cheered him during his ceremonial oath. Sonia Gandhi was the party president for last 19 years, and now Rahul has taken over the control of the party.
- Virat Kohli and Anushka have tied the knot: The Indian Cricket team captain Virat Kohli and Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma have tied the knot on December 11, in Borgo Finocchieto Villas near Tuscany in Italy, in a private event. The couple was dating from four years but didn’t reveal their wedding plans. A lavish reception in Delhi and Mumbai for film stars and cricketers have already planned ahead.
- Legends that passed away: This year brought in some good things to remember as well as some sad demise from Indian Film fraternity. India lost some of its finest actors this year. Legendary actors like Shashi Kapoor, Om Puri, Vinod Khanna, and Reema Lagoo who has won million hearts with their great work in their acting career. Shashi Kapoor was battling prolonged illness, whereas Vinod Khanna died of Cancer. Om Puri and Reema Lagoo died of cardiac arrest.
- ISRO launched 104 satellite: PSLV-C37 successfully launches 104 satellites in a single mission on 15 February 2017. This was the world record formed by ISRO where 101 were foreign satellites which served as an international customer as the South Asian nation which seeks a bigger share of $300 billion global space industry.
Hope coming year brings new achievements and make our India globally on top. Wishing a joyful and entertaining New Year to all.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!!